Friday, March 14, 2008

Into the Wild? Into the Sucks Butt.

beowulf 1.5 hrs
Into the wild 2+ hrs
A total of at least 3.5 hrs I wish I could have back this year, damn you hollywood!

Into the wild...
There are times that movies are recommended to us, and we are more than willing and eager to rent them, watch them, and usually enjoy them to some extent. I have never felt the value of a dollar so much as to when I lost it at red box. About thirty minutes we were both hoping he was going to die within the next five... maybe the movie would have a point by then.

Why do people think it is cool to pretend to be deep? The kind of deep where you talk about it, "make a radical change in your lifestyle (a literal quote from the movie)," and for some reason, smoking weed is always an important part of this ironically hypocritical regime. Walk around in fancy shoes, talking about "parties," four wheelin in the "slammin" outdoors, and ethnic restaurants. Knock religion for being preachy, yet you preach your life of "simplicity" and living free to others. Believe and do what you want, just dont tell me why I should be doing it.

By the end of the movie, when the inevitable finally occurs... all I could say was, "It is about time." Why would you go out into the "wild" to be happy to find an abandoned bus, only to realize happiness is only real when shared.

When you finally are "free" aka "homeless bum" you die of starvation, alone, sad, cold and ugly. Sweet.

I have never really been an outdoorsmen and have never have claimed to be. Something living without electricity or running water, or a toilet doesnt really appeal to me. I dont need to be dropping a deuce in a hand dug hole to connect with my inner self. I believe this evolution to living in houses, using cars, electricity, heat, shoes, money, etc occurred for a reason. I'll just take your word for it supertramp, the grass isn't really greener

3 comments:

Fish Nat!on said...

oh, so much to say right now. first, ill agree that beowulf was the biggest waste of an hour this side of lagoon. into the wild, however...fantastic movie. A. there was no weed involved. he wasnt a druggie. 2. i dont believe that he thought it was, per say, "cool" to be "deep." He truly believed the philosophies that he followed, and unfortunately only in the end, did he realize that his philosophy was a bit flawed. There is nothing wrong with loving nature. To be perfectly honest, besides the temple, I never feel the spirit stronger or closer to God than when I am out in the middle of the woods, or on top of a mountain, or some sublimely beautiful place that god created. Imagine someone who is jaded with the way human beings treat each other (i.e. his father, having one marriage and a son, then meeting a mistress (supertramps mother) and then abandoning his original family for the mistress, amongst constant fighting and other terrible things) and not having the gospel in your life, and feeling jaded to organized religion...where do you turn for spirituality? to the only places not perverted by human kind, so to say. the wild. I am not saying he was correct about his views of humanity and technology. but give the guy some credit. i walked away from every comfort and went on a journey to find himself. the unfortunate thing is he found himself a bit too late. i suppose that you, being one who is apparently less than enchanted with the outdoors (and i promise that that was not supposed to sound snobbish or sassy) would not be able to understand the empowering feeling that one feels upon being completely alone, surrounded by nature. i know the difference, because at one point i didnt care for the out doors, and prefered all modern conveniences. but over the lastt 4 years i have fallen in love with nature, and so i can relate to those feelings. this is, however, your blog and i am not trying to tell you how to feel or think. when people dissagree with me, i dont give a shit. im not going for objectivity. so dont take this the wrong way. i just wanted to present you with the other side of the coin. :)
love fish

Fish Nat!on said...

oh, ps. i read the book, which revealed a bit more depth to his character. and i meant to say "he walked away from every comfort..." and i also meant that i am not going for objectivity as far as my blog is concerned. cheers

tyandtesh said...

you know what, a piece of me died inside when I discovered that you watched beowolf. So you will have to find a way to reconnect with me to get me to talk to you again. Dont ever talk to me about movies that you know are going to suck and watch them anyways! Vampires witchery and beowolf= WASTE OF TIME!